Opal is a singular and interesting gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each stunning and crowd pleasing. Opals positively deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are fashioned, and learn how to take care of opal jewelry to make sure that it stays trying stunning for years to come back.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Fashioned?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, abandoning a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, finally forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take anyplace from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the precise circumstances and components concerned. The result’s a singular and delightful gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the best way gentle refracts by way of the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of color seen significantly in Australian opals, however as a substitute have extra of a strong colouring which could be white, yellow, pink, orange, purple and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for hundreds of years, with a few of the earliest examples courting again to historical Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals had been believed to have magical powers, and so they had been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was changing into extra extensively obtainable, and it grew to become a preferred alternative for engagement rings and different special day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry grew to become much more common and at present it stays a preferred alternative for jewelry lovers at present. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is an effective way so as to add some color and character to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is thought for producing a few of the best opals on the earth, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, nevertheless it wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary business opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits had been present in areas similar to Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale trade, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nevertheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of a whole bunch of individuals and produce vital quantities of opal annually.
Right this moment, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers all over the world. With their distinctive and charming play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very fashionable alternative for these on the lookout for a particular and delightful gemstone.
The way to Take care of Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them trying their greatest. Listed below are some suggestions for caring in your opal jewelry:
- Opal is sort of a delicate gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and harm. Smooth material pouches or jewelry containers are perfect for storage of valuable jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry commonly to take away filth and oil buildup. To scrub opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry completely. Try our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra suggestions.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist commonly or for prolonged durations, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We suggest taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, you must dry it shortly and completely to forestall harm.
- For prime worth opal jewelry, we suggest having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in prime situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical compounds, similar to bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can harm the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on valuable steel which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as greatest you’ll be able to and remember to rinse and dry completely once you’re accomplished.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature adjustments, as this will trigger the gemstone to crack or change into discoloured. Particularly do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Lovely Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is a ravishing and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are on the lookout for an important day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a really particular choice.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry we’ve a number of reasonably priced opal jewelry, together with some small and delightful Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and strong color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Try our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re positive you will discover one thing you like.