IEEE Spectrum garnered prime honors at this 12 months’s annual Jesse H. Neal Awards ceremony, held on 21 April. Often called the Pulitzer Prizes of business-to-business journalism, the Neal Awards acknowledge editorial excellence. The SIIA (Software program and Data Trade Affiliation) bestows the awards.
For the fourth 12 months in a row, IEEE Spectrum was awarded the Greatest Vary of Work by a Media Model. The glory is given for general editorial excellence.
IEEE Spectrum and its employees additionally acquired these awards:
- Greatest Artwork Path for a Cowl. “Do Excessive-Tech Prosthetics Serve Their Customers?” (October 2022). Inventive Director Mark Montgomery, Pictures Director Randi Klett, and photographer Gabriela Hasbun.
- Greatest Topic-Associated Bundle. “The Transistor at 75” (December 2022). Senior Editor Samuel Ok. Moore and the Spectrum employees.
- Greatest Variety, Fairness, and Inclusion Protection. “Nothing About Us With out Us” (October 2022). Performing Editor in Chief Harry Goldstein, Particular Initiatives Editor Stephen Cass, Senior Editor Eliza Strickland, Contributing Editor Mark E. Harris, and Author and Human Geographer Britt H. Younger).
- Greatest Total Artwork Path/Design. “The Artwork of Cryptokitties (September 2022); “Radio Spectrum Turf Wars” (July 2022); and “The Vacuum Tube’s Forgotten Rival” (April 2022). Inventive Director Mark Montgomery, Deputy Artwork Director Brandon Palacio, On-line Artwork Director Erik Vrielink, and Pictures Director Randi Klett.
- Greatest Single Article. “Bionic Imaginative and prescient: An IEEE Spectrum Investigation” (February 2022). Senior Editor Eliza Strickland and Contributing Editor Mark E. Harris.
- Greatest Single Problem of Tabloid, Newspaper, or Journal. “The Transistor at 75” (December 2022).
- Greatest Vary of Work by a Single Creator. Senior Editor Eliza Strickland on synthetic intelligence, neurotechnology, and geoengineering.
- Greatest Vary of Work by a Media Model.
Enterprise enhancing and writing awards
IEEE Spectrum additionally gained two awards and garnered an honorable point out from the Society for Advancing Enterprise Modifying and Writing. It was the primary time the publication had vied for the awards. IEEE Spectrum competed in opposition to greater than 190 information organizations together with worldwide, nationwide, and regional retailers and specialised enterprise publications.
“On daily basis, IEEE Spectrum’s editors convey our readers probably the most insightful expertise journalism round, and 12 months after 12 months our efforts are acknowledged by our friends,” Goldstein says. “It’s gratifying to know that IEEE members and the group as a complete help our work, and that we’re giving them the very best info in context as they sort out the thorniest issues dealing with humanity.”
Strickland provides that she and her coauthor, Harris, are honored by the accolades for his or her investigative article about Second Sight, a bionic-vision firm that left early adopters with out of date gadgetry of their eyes and brains.
“Expertise journalism can’t simply be cheerleading for the most recent improvements,” she says. “IEEE Spectrum’s readers are essential thinkers who need to perceive how superior applied sciences are altering our society. We can assist by bringing them the tales that matter most.”